Why is Makkah’s Mataf floor cool even in scorching heat, secret revealed by the General Presidency for the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques
What is the secret of the mataf (Tawaf area around the Holy Kaaba) of the Grand Mosque of Makkah, which keeps Mataf floor cool even in scorching heat? Read : Few interesting facts about Hajj pilgrimage
Everyone who has performed the Hajj or Umrah pilgrimage likely noted the mataf floor cool even in scorching heat under their feet when they stepped upon the marble in the mataf area of the Grand Mosque. Even though while Makkah experiences strong summer heat that can exceed 50 degrees Celsius, many have questioned the cause of the cool sensation. Some people could even believe that there are air conditioners hidden beneath the floor, which is completely false.
– The type of Thassos marble used in the Mataf, which may be the largest surficial marble application in the world, is said to be the primary cause of the coolness, according to the General Presidency for the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques. Trending : Unseen images of the Kaaba Black Stone (Hajar Al-Aswad)
– The mataf was expanded under King Khalid’s rule, and in the year 1398 A.H., Thassos marble was used for the first time to decorate its floor. Throughout the day, this marble reflects the sun’s rays, which also causes it to reflect heat. This is the secret behind the mataf floor cool even in scorching heat.
– The quality of the marble used in the Grand Mosque is said by the presidency to be the cause of the floor distinctive coolness. Since no other variety of granite or marble reflects light and heat like this famous Greek Thassos marble does, Saudi Arabia has been importing it for decades.
– The marble from Thassos is the world’s most white, uncommon, and fine-grained marble. From ancient times, it has been harvested from the Greek island of Thassos in the Aegean Sea, giving rise to its name. One of the earliest civilizations to discover marble and to create uses for stone over time was the Greeks.
– This marble does not reflect Sun’s rays and does not absorb heat and the pilgrims and the worshipers do not feel the heat on this marble even at the highest temperatures, this is one of the reason why the Mataf floor cool even in scorching heat. Recommend : 6 Fruits mentioned in Holy Quran
– One of the finest and strongest natural stones is Thassos marble, which stands out for its crystal white color. The marble used in the Grand Mosque has a five-centimeter thickness. Also, it stands out due to the fact that at night it absorbs moisture through tiny pores and then emits it during the day, keeping the floor cool even in hot weather.
– The substance has been referred to as high – temperature smart marble, and its great degree of purity and whiteness has been linked to the crystal structure of the stone, which is dolomite-rich. Its 2mm crystal sheet shape was subsequently associated with two crucial elements that would both contribute to maintaining its coolness, limited porosity and improved thermal conductivity.
– Large rock chunks of Thassos marble are imported into Saudi Arabia, where they are processed into tiles of a certain size and standard in private Saudi manufacturers under the direction of qualified technical cadres. Join Saudi Expatriates channel on imo messenger